Saturday, May 7, 2011

Jewish Identity - Rich Boy


Anna’s post about Jewish Identities really made me think of how I view the Jewish community. I live in a town close to Anna’s that also has a high Jewish population. I went to all the Bat and Bar Mitzvahs and enjoyed every moment of it. It is very hard for me to imagine a community that didn’t have both Christian traditions and Jewish traditions as many of my friends are actively practicing Jews.

My last post was about insecurity connected to identity throughout Rich Boy. Now looking back on where I grew up, I think that my childhood gave me a wide variety of religious experiences. Like Anna, I am working on comprehending the idea of Antisemitism. When I was abroad this past fall, I was able to go to Amsterdam and visit the Anne Frank house. This was a very moving experience for me, especially because I read her diary in middle school. Quotes from the diary were all throughout the house and visitors are even allowed to go into her room. Here are some pictures from the house (not mine though as no photography was allowed). 







Again, I can not reiterate enough times how important I think that this class was on helping Colby students become more aware of themselves in relation to the world around them. Without knowing one's own biases interpretation can be swayed incorrectly.  I hope that everyone in the class remembers how important class is to understanding individuals in the real world as well as characters from the novels they read.

No comments:

Post a Comment